Makeup

Younique Spray Foundation Review and Guide: Why I Love It

As a makeup artist, experimenting with new products and techniques is part of my routine. I recently ventured into the world of spray foundations, a type I hadn’t explored before. Although there are several options available, I hadn’t been inclined to try one until now.

If you’re considering a spray foundation, you might be aware that they can be challenging to apply and it’s easy to use more product than necessary. However, after using this foundation extensively, I’ve gathered some valuable tips and tricks to help you maximize its benefits. For context, I chose ‘Tulle’, which is the second lightest shade available.

Key Features

The Younique Touch Spray Foundation offers a light yet full-coverage experience. It’s designed to be non-comedogenic, so you won’t have to worry about clogged pores or blackheads. Packaged in a user-friendly aerosol can, it ensures an even, efficient application without unnecessary product wastage. Younique also boasts a durable wear of up to twelve hours and resistance to transfer.

What I particularly appreciate about this foundation is its inclusion of skin-friendly ingredients like Macadamia Nut Oil, Squalane, and Vitamin E. These components work together to prevent skin irritation after removal.

In terms of color options, Younique provides 19 diverse shades, encompassing a variety of undertones. If you’re uncertain about your perfect match, the Younique Beauty Guide offers a live facial scan to suggest the ideal shade. Remember, this technology isn’t foolproof, so checking their swatch gallery can provide additional clarity. Personally, I opted for a shade slightly darker than my skin tone to avoid a too-pale appearance. My tip is to choose a lighter shade if you’re undecided between two, as you can always enhance it with bronzer and blush.

Pros:

• The aerosol spray is straightforward to use, delivering a consistent amount each time.
  • Blends seamlessly into the skin, offering a natural finish.
  • Feels incredibly light, similar to a BB cream or tinted moisturizer.
  • Quick shipping, complete with a personalized note in the packaging.
  • Younique maintains a cruelty-free policy regarding animal testing.

Cons:

• Availability is limited to online, which means you can’t physically test the shades prior to purchase.
  • The aerosol can I received had a slightly defective cap, which was disappointing, though it didn’t impact the foundation’s quality.
  • The nozzle may get clogged without regular cleaning.
  • The range could benefit from additional shades for more diverse skin tones.

Where and What To Buy

The Touch Spray Foundation by Younique comes in an impressive range of 19 shades. To find your perfect match, I recommend using a combination of methods, such as swatches and the live tool. Additionally, consulting with a Younique provider for shade recommendations can be helpful. Not familiar with the term ‘provider’? Let me explain.

Younique operates on a direct sales model, meaning purchases are made through individual providers who earn commissions. These providers are there to assist with any product-related queries. Younique’s development team designs the products, which are then sold through each provider’s unique e-commerce platform, ensuring secure transactions.

When I was looking to buy the Touch Spray Foundation, I didn’t personally know any Younique providers. Fortunately, Younique’s website offers a handy tool for locating providers in your area. You can enter a postal code and the site will display profiles of nearby providers, along with their rankings. I chose a provider closest to me, and once linked to their storefront, the shopping process was straightforward, with provider contact info readily available for any questions.

First Impressions & Application

The arrival of the foundation was quite exciting. It came in a Younique-branded box with a thoughtful thank you note. The spray bottle felt lighter than most foundation bottles I’ve used. Though the metal cap was slightly off, it didn’t affect the foundation’s performance, so I didn’t seek a replacement.

Applying the foundation was an enjoyable process. Its lightweight and blendable formula felt great on the skin. Here’s a step-by-step guide to my application technique:

1. I started with my regular skincare routine and primer, allowing it to settle before applying the foundation.
  2. Shaking the spray can vigorously before use is key to ensuring the ingredients are well-mixed.
  3. I sprayed a small amount onto my blending brush, gradually building up coverage. It’s better to start with less and add more as needed.
  4. After the initial application, I used a clean brush to blend the product into my skin in circular motions.
  5. Following the foundation, I applied my concealer and a light setting powder.
  6. Finally, I set everything with a setting spray, allowing a few minutes for it to dry.

This application process is quite similar to that of a regular liquid foundation, though be aware of a slight alcohol scent due to the aerosol nature of the product.

All-Day Wear

I tested the foundation over several days to assess its performance. Like most full-coverage foundations, it did start to separate a bit around my nose and forehead. A quick buff with a clean brush and a touch-up with setting powder easily fixed this. Carrying a mini touch-up kit is a good idea, especially with mask-wearing. By the end of the day, the foundation had worn off in some areas due to my mask, but overall, it maintained a smooth appearance. For extended wear, I recommend removing and reapplying the foundation rather than layering over separated or worn-off areas.

Overall, the foundation lived up to its claims, impressively withstanding the challenges of frequent mask use.

Alternatives

Dior Airflash Spray Foundation

This longstanding favorite offers full coverage with a lightweight feel and water-resistant formula, lasting up to twelve hours. Available in radiant and matte finishes across 18 and 7 shades respectively, the radiant finish is particularly versatile as it can be mattified with powder or spray.

Jerome Alexander MagicMinerals Airbrush Foundation Kit

This kit includes a spray foundation, primer, and buffing brush, all infused with beneficial skincare ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid and Argireline. The buildable matte formula is sweatproof, available in twelve shades with an online try-on feature to assist in choosing the right one.

Temptu Perfect Canvas Airbrush Foundation

Temptu Perfect Canvas Airbrush Foundation

Offering buildable coverage and enriched with amino acids, peptides, goji berry, and antioxidants, this foundation is part of a unique cordless airbrush system. Though initially an investment, only the foundation inserts need to be repurchased. Available in 24 shades, customer reviews and videos can help determine the best match, with a straightforward return and replacement policy for incorrect shades.

Related Jobs

Back to top button