Makeup

M.A.C. Lustre Lipstick Review: You Will Love The Shade Range

It’s incredible to think that M.A.C has been a prominent name in the beauty industry since its inception in 1984, with founders Frank Toskan and Frank Angelo initially crafting M.A.C products at home. Over the years, M.A.C has become a major player in the world of cosmetics.

Among all M.A.C products, their lipsticks consistently receive the most attention and admiration. For many, M.A.C lipsticks are an entry point into the world of high-end makeup. I personally recall my first high-end makeup purchase being a vibrant pink M.A.C lipstick, which I cherished as if my life depended on it.

M.A.C has continually expanded its lipstick range, offering various formulas, including the innovative Lustre Lipstick. The Lustre Lipsticks are an evolved version of the original Lustre Lipsticks, featuring an improved formula and new shades. In this M.A.C. Lustre Lipstick Review, I’ll be exploring the Lustre Lipstick shades “Local Celeb” and “Glossed and Found.”

M.A.C Lustre Lipstick Review: Key Features

M.A.C. Lustre Lipstick Review
  • Extremely moisturizing: Infused with raspberry seed and olive oil, these lipsticks provide intense hydration.
  • Very lightweight: The formula feels light on the lips.
  • Glides on smoothly: The lipstick goes on effortlessly, ensuring a smooth application.
  • Shiny finish: These lipsticks provide a glossy finish, reminiscent of a lip gloss.
  • Sheer color but still offers plenty of pigment: While the color is sheer, it provides ample pigment for a noticeable look.
  • Leaves a long-wearing tint: Even as the initial shine fades, the lipstick leaves a tint that lasts.

Pros

• Very smooth and glossy: The formula imparts a smooth and glossy appearance on the lips.
  • Buildable color: You can layer the lipstick for a more intense look.
  • Very nourishing: The lipsticks are highly moisturizing.

Cons

• Some of the colors feather: Feathering may occur with certain shades.
  • The shades look a bit different in real life than they do online: The colors may appear differently in person compared to their online representation.
  • While the lipsticks leave a tint, the pigments weaken after eating and drinking: The color may fade after eating or drinking.

About the Lustre Lipsticks

The Lustre Lipsticks, represented by shades like “Chandelier,” are unique in their own right. They offer the high shine of a lip gloss combined with the pigment of a lipstick. M.A.C describes the color as sheer, but even a single swipe provides impressive color payoff. The Lustre Lipsticks are an upgraded version of the original Lustre lipstick, enriched with additional shades and nourishing ingredients, such as raspberry seed and olive oil.

These lipsticks boast a creamy application that culminates in a glossy finish, offering the best of both lipstick and lip gloss worlds. They are designed to be comfortable to wear, with a non-sticky texture and a formula that isn’t overly thick. Overall, the Lustre Lipsticks excel in moisturization and deliver versatile, everyday shades.

The Shades I Chose

With a plethora of shades available, selecting just one can be a challenge. I opted for “Local Celeb,” described as burnt orange, and “Glossed and Found,” a mid-tone sparkly red. Both shades are undeniably beautiful, but there are some nuances to consider.

Firstly, “Local Celeb” appears slightly more orange in person than expected. While the models on the website may portray it as a beigey orange, the color leans towards a bolder, intense orange on my lips. While not necessarily a negative aspect, it’s worth noting.

On the other hand, “Glossed and Found” is touted to have a pearly sparkle. However, the sparkles are barely discernible upon application. This might be disappointing for those expecting a more pronounced sparkle effect.

Application

Approaching these lipsticks, I was uncertain about what to expect. The description suggests sheer and buildable color combined with a glossy formula. To my delight, I found that the pigmentation was impressive right from the first application. The formula glided smoothly across my lips, delivering an instant glossy effect.

Finish

If you’re a fan of shiny lipsticks, you’re in for a treat with the Lustre Lipsticks. They provide a glossy finish reminiscent of a highly pigmented lip gloss. Additionally, these lipsticks are incredibly moisturizing, a definite plus.

However, there are some downsides. For instance, the shade “Glossed and Found” exhibited some feathering. Surprisingly, “Local Celeb” did not feather at all, suggesting that the extent of feathering may depend on the specific lipstick shade. Furthermore, the color transforms from a pigmented, gloss-like finish to a subtle tint over time, as explored in the next section.

Lasting Power

The M.A.C website claims that these lipsticks are long-wearing, which piqued my interest. Given their gloss-based nature, I approached this claim with skepticism. As it turns out, my reservations were justified.

As mentioned earlier, the glossy and pigmented appearance is not a permanent feature. Instead, the lipstick gradually fades into a subtle tint over time. While it may not be as long-lasting as expected, the presence of the tint is preferable to complete color disappearance.

I decided to put the lipstick to the test by sipping coffee as I wrote this review. With each sip, the color gradually weakened, but a noticeable tint remained. After an hour or so, I had lunch, which essentially removed the lipstick’s color from my lips.

Buildable Color

I was curious to assess the color-building capabilities of the Lustre Lipsticks. To do so, I experimented with “Local Celeb.”

Initially, a single coat provided a noticeably orangey color, leaning towards a deeper orange than anticipated. Applying a second coat intensified the color but also led to some bleeding. A third coat deepened the lipstick’s hue further and exacerbated the bleeding issue. However, this is a concern easily mitigated with lip liner and tissue paper.

Where to Buy the Lustre Lipstick

I acquired my lipsticks online, but you can also purchase Lustre Lipsticks from any M.A.C store or Nordstrom.

Alternatives

While Lustre Lipsticks offer vibrant color payoff and a unique concept from a highly respected makeup brand, several other cosmetic companies offer similar products:

YSL Rouge Pur Couture SPF Lipstick

YSL Rouge Pur Couture SPF Lipstick

Although these lipsticks lack a glossy finish, they offer intense hydration along with vibrant color. The range includes numerous shades and a choice between satin or matte finishes.

L’Oreal Color Riche Shine Lipstick

L'Oreal Color Riche Shine Lipstick

This is an excellent drugstore alternative to M.A.C Lustre Lipsticks. L’Oreal’s lipsticks provide intense color, hydration, and a creamy formula. Described as having a “luminous satin finish,” they offer the benefits of M.A.C Lustre at a more budget-friendly price point.

Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy

While these lipsticks don’t provide the glossy finish of Lustre Lipsticks, they boast a moisture complex for rich color and hydration. The pigments are intricate and multifaceted, even in the neutral shades.

Revlon Super Lustrous Melting Glass Shine Lipstick

Revlon Super Lustrous Melting Glass Shine Lipstick

As another affordable alternative to Lustre Lipsticks, Revlon’s offering has a chapstick-like formula rather than a lip gloss texture. It offers extreme moisturization and a subtle pigment payoff, similar to Lustre Glass.

Chanel Rouge Coco Bloom Lip Color

Chanel Rouge Coco Bloom Lip Color

For those seeking a luxurious alternative to Lustre Lipsticks, Chanel’s Rouge Coco Bloom Lip Color provides a shiny finish with long-lasting color. The lipstick is enriched with hydrating ingredients for a top-tier lipstick experience.

Related Jobs

Back to top button